Monday, November 14, 2011

Nothing New

This bike riding business is nothing new. I've been riding a bike since, well, forever...and before that, my parents would ride me around Golden Gate Park in one of those antiquated kid seats (nothing like what you see today, with the enclosed compartment, orange flag, reflectors, buckles and fasteners...)...Hell, I don't think we were even strapped in, and certainly helmets were not a consideration...but here I sit, still alive. I"ve had many bikes in my 45 years...from a banana seat single speed to my first 'real' 10 speed...a Univega.

In 2000, I bought a used Trek 7500 multitrack hybrid for the occasional weekend ride. Those rides became fewer and far between as life got in the way. Last summer, I was determined to renew our relationship. With new tires, brakes and a tune up, I began to 'train' for my 10 mile round trip commute to school. This is the only way I have been able to get any exercise, as teaching is all consuming (sorry yoga! I simply can't make 6pm class during the week). Now I'm riding 3, 4 days a week and longer rides on the weekends in Marin. It's getting out of control. I bought bike gloves with a cute design, those diaper shorts (you need that padding, let me tell you!), a cool bike shirt with back pockets and an even cooler bike "pannier" that attaches to my rear rack. There are more accoutrements to come, I fear, and I found myself glancing at a few 'tours'...one involved Napa and wine...how hard can THAT be? I'm also shopping around for a new bike that is lighter and quicker for the road, without being a full on road bike (I'm down to choosing between a Trek FX 7.5 or a Marin Lucas Valley...kind of tough...Lance won 7 times on a Trek, but then Marin...well, all things Marin are the best....

So here I am, actually blogging about this rediscovered, childhood activity-and, if you got this far, are actually reading about it...but hey, I rode 28 miles so far this week. Can I reach 60?

1 comment:

  1. Angela:
    I ran across your blog searching for a comparison between the trek 7.5 fx and the Marin Lucas valley. I have been in a similar quandary, but got the Trek because I could not find anyone to sell me a Marin. Really, there are shops that sell Marin in Seattle, but when I said that I wanted to try and buy a Lucas valley, they we not helpful, and kind of discouraged me from it, and certainly did not have any in stock.

    The shop that sold me the trek did not have it in stock, but they got it in two days, compared to the 8 weeks I was told at the Marin dealer.

    ReplyDelete