Saturday, November 19, 2011

Put it in Quotations

(scene from one of my 6:30am commutes...sun rising over San Francisco)

Just read me some Joseph Campbell.

“If you follow your bliss, you put yourself on a kind of track that has been there all the while, waiting for you, and the life that you ought to be living is the one you are living. When you can see that, you begin to meet people who are in your field of bliss, and they open doors to you. I say, follow your bliss and don’t be afraid, and doors will open where you didn’t know they were going to be.”

As you might have surmised, I really like quotes. They really put an exclamation point on a condition or situation. There are a lot of people quoting stuff in the yoga/metaphysical world and many people reading these quotes are brought to a new level of awareness. Yes, all this from a quote! If one starts practicing yoga regularly, one is forced to explore the inside, which leads to a desire to expand one's knowledge of that oft times unexplored terrain. An applicable quote, at a synchronistic moment, is the perfect springboard to self discovery and personal growth.

But, what does this have to do with cycling? For me, cycling has become just another form of yoga. They complement each other perfectly. Where yoga grounds me, cycling forces me to let go; where yoga brings the focus to a fine point, cycling expands that focus in seemingly infinite directions; where yoga gives an awareness of self, cycling gives an awareness of all that is; where yoga is steady stillness, cycling is steady speed.

Just as the lessons explored on the mat, can be applied off the mat, the same can be said for cycling. It's easy to follow Bliss on a bike and each time I get off I feel, "I've arrived."





No comments:

Post a Comment